Laboratories and Experiments
Below are a list of laboratory activities and experiements we have, or will be completing throughout the year.
- Plate Tectonics Exercise- In this activity you will use data to calculate the rate of motion of three tectonic plates.
- Virtual EarthQuake Activity- This activity you can complete on your own using the computer. Download the worksheet and head on over to the virtual earthquake website: http://www.sciencecourseware.com/VirtualEarthquake/
- Modeling Faults- Click here to download the fault model. Color, cut, and glue the model together, then complete the activity and answer the questions.
- EM Spectrum Calculations- Using recordings from mission control to the Apollo astronauts on the moon, calculate the distance the radio waves travelled. Also use the speed of light to calculate how far planets and stars are.
- Spectroscope lab- Dowload the instructions and template here to create your own paper spectroscope. Build your spectroscope then complete the activity.
- Cooking at the Speed of Light- Use your home microwave and a plate of chocolate chips or marshmellows to calculate the speed of light.